Saturday, November 15, 2008

Week 12 Blog # 1

Muted Group
According to Griffin, a muted group is a group of, "People with little power who have trouble giving voice to their perceptions because they must re-encode their thoughts to make them understood in the public sphere; e.g., women."  This information can be found on page 455 in chapter 35 of our textbook.  

I find this concept to be an interesting one because whenever I talk about oppression I tend to focus on the silencing of others.  I talk about how one group silences another, not literally, but by making them feel as though they are ignorant or unimportant.  I like that I now have another term, the muted group.

~Tornn

1 comment:

JahCat said...

The muted group was a concept that I thought was an interesting one. I think that our society tends to silence things that they dont want to hear about for various reasons. I think that the silencing of others is unacceptable, but it is interesting how groups step out of this concept. It is hard to incorperate the right people to get a message heard. I also think that the process where groups reword their ideas to get mass approval is also interesting. It is hard to send a message that every group of people will listen to.