Friday, November 14, 2008

Week 12 Blog # 1

Standpoint

According to Griffin, a standpoint is, "A place from which to critically view the world around us."  This information can be found on page 441 in chapter 34 of our text.  So when people say standpoint they don't literally mean where one is standing and what they are literally looking at, but instead a standpoint is almost a state of mind.  If one's standpoint is abortion is morally wrong, then they will tend to feel that Roe v. Wade should be overturned simply because that is how they are looking at the issue.  
I think standpoints are important for understanding how far and deep you can actually go with another person when discussing issues.  This is because I know from talking to people, many are not interested in hearing anything that differs from view, and I feel that this comes from their standpoint.

~Tornn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Like you said, I think that Standpoint Theory can account for a lot of differences in opinion. I often wonder how in the world another person can see an issue differently--my perspective just seems so logical in my mind. I have to realize that they have a different perspective because their life experiences are different than mine. For all I know, their perspective may seem as perfectly logical in their mind as my perspective was in mine. I also agree that there is no absolute truth when it comes to certain issues--there is only perspective, and you brought up a good one: abortion. While there may seem like a right and wrong in my mind, there isn't objectively either.