Saturday, October 25, 2008

Week 9 Blog # 3

Semiotics

Semiotics is described as the study of the social production of meaning from sign systems; the analysis of anything that can stand for something else.  This information can be found on page 323 in chapter 25 of our textbook.  

I feel that semiotics are meaningful because I think that analyzing anything can be considered a study of semiotics.  I feel this way because every statement, every action, and every form of communication has symbolic meanings deeper than the actual surface meaning.  I feel that I am studying semiotics everyday when I try to figure out why someone has said something in the way they did, because I know there is some other intentions behind their statements.

~Tornn

1 comment:

JahCat said...

I think that the concept of semiotics is an interesting concept. Words are ambiguous and can mean whatever we feel that they should mean. The media uses words to relate to different demographics of people to understand in similar ways. It’s hard to communicate with people through text because there are no emotions behind texted sentences and it is up to the person receiving it. People have to analyze why people say certain things so that they can relate with that person or try to figure out what is going on with that relationship.